Certainly, it is difficult to make the demands of the Gospel understandable to secularized people. But this pastoral difficulty must not lead to compromises with the truth.
The evil clown is coming to town
The title of this piece is a bit less sanguine than normal but I couldn't resist it, especially given that it rhymes a bit. Furthermore, I am not ashamed at my indignation over a pope coming to this country to celebrate errors against the faith of Holy Mother Church.
On this day next week, barring divine intervention, Bergoglio will be in Lund celebrating the longevity of one of the Church's arch-heresiarch's heresies. Sure, his enablers call it commemoration, but a celebration by any other name is still a celebration.
Yes, believe it or not there are still people hell-bent on defending everything that man does. Some do it because they approve of his approach to de-Christianise Christianity, others because they want to play 'devil's advocate' (FYI: the devil's advocate was not actually there to promote the devil's work), others because they simply do not have the courage to muster a defence of the faith, and no doubt we can jot down reasons to escape reality till our life's breath gives way, but suffice to say that those looking for excuses will always find them.
In the Nordic countries, we were treated to a scandalous letter from the bishops, the contents of which I hope to assess at a later date, so the warm-up act to Bergoglio's main jumboree is in full sing.
Since a lot of the people claim to be Catholics, and not a few of them claim to know what the Church teaches - including our weak bishops -, it has left me wondering just what it would take to get them to acknowledge that Bergoglio is an enemy of the faith. I have seriously begun to wonder whether there is anything the man would say which would get these people off their comfort zone and actually denounce the anti-Catholic actions of the man.
So, taking my cue from The Remnant Forum, in which Michael Matt proposed that Bergoglio's defenders make a list of things so scandalous that if he ever did them they would disown him, what follows is a list of brazenly outrageous actions which I propose to be the 'red line'. If you find yourself thinking, "the pope would never do that", just keep in mind that you would probably had said the same thing had I listed (before he did these things) that a pope would say that most marriages are invalid and many non-marriages are valid, that nobody is damned forever, that adultery committed enough ceases to be a mortal sin, and so on.
Some of what is on the list he has already done anyway, but it is so outrageous that I could not leave it out.
Here goes a list of outrageous statements which may be uttered the the man:
- Insists that the Miracle of the multiplication of the loaves was that of sharing and not , as the miracle is called, "the multiplication of the loaves".
- Claims that the Apostles made up the story of Christ's miracles.
- Claims that the Apostles made up the story of the resurrection, that we do not need to believe in a historical resurrection.
- Insists that most priests are laymen.
- States that many laymen are priests.
- Includes pets' feet in the washing of the feet ceremony on Maundy Thursday.
- Includes people holding pets in the Maundy Thursday foot-washing ceremony.
- After years of abusign the foot-washing ceremony, changes rubrics to allow the washing of women, thus confusing the faithful, but limits the washing to "the people of God".
- In defiance of his own regulations regarding the washing of the feet, washes the feet of non-Catholics and pagans.
- Shouts "Allahu Akbar" from the balcony overlooking St. Peter's Square.
- Shouts "Allahu Akbar" from a mosque.
- Insists that most married people are not married.
- Insists that many unmarried people are married.
- Claims that single people can be married.
- Insists that married people can be divorced even without seeking an actual divorce.
- States that those in adulterous relationships should need not leave those relationships behind in order to live virtuously.
- States that people in adulterous relationshpis may receive Holy Communion.
- Re-inteprets the 4th Commandment to include mother nature.
- Uses a Marian feasts to desecrate the facade of St. Peter's Basilica with vulgar images for crass humanistic reasons.
- Calumniates a pope by claiming that he had previously allowed nuns to use contraception - twice.
- In spite of his constant nagging about how we must be kind and merciful to others, states that good works are not needed for salvation.
- States that virtue can be a sign of vice.
- States that vice can be a sign of virtue.
- Tells people that having doubts about God is necessary in order for one to grow in one's faith.
- Insists that certainty about the moral law is bad because life consists of shades of grey.
- Calls evangelisation "solemn nonsense" outright.
- Calls proselytisation "solemn nonsense" and calls it a crime against ecumenism.
- Says that without protestants we cannot be truly Catholic.
- Says that many protestants are Catholic and many Catholics are protestants.
- Calls Muhammad an authoritative intepreter of the Gospel.
- Calls Christ a foreshadow of Muhammad.
- Tells Muslims they need not convert to Christianity and that they should grow more in their faith instead of seeking Christ.
- Tells atheists they do not need Christ and that they only need to do what they feel is good.
- Claims that Catholics need to study the works of Muhammad in order to understand the Gospel message.
- Compares the command of Christ to evangelise to the Islamic jihad.
- Says that one need not confess one's sins and that it is enough to show up in a confessional with virtually a nod and a wink to the priest.
- Encourages protestants to receive Holy Communion without renouncing the protestant errors.
- Encourages Catholics to receive bread and wine in protestant ceremonies.
- Receives himself bread and wine in protestant ceremonies.
- Distributes Holy Communion to non-Catholics at Mass in full knowledge of the fact.
- Calls somebody a non-Christian if he wants to protect the borders of his country.
- Says that it is un-Christian to fear for one's country's future due to a large Muslim influx.
- Calls Martin Luther a giant of the Church.
- Declares Martin Luther to be a de-facto doctor of the Church.
- States that Martin Luther was right to break away from the Church.
- States that Martin Luther was right to conclude that Jesus committed adultery and fornication.
- Insists that one cannot be a true husband or wife without having been tempted to commit adultery.
- Calls chastity "solemn nonsense".
- Kisses the feet of lesbian bishopettes at an ecumenical gathering.
- Kneels to receive the blessing of a bishopette at an ecumenical gathering.
- Says that unless one has been a protestant one cannot be a true Catholic.
To be honest, it is almost difficult even for me to know the difference between what he has said and what I fear he might say, given what has transpired in the recent past.
The list could be made very long and I shall no doubt add to it as I think of more ridiculous scenarios which could come up, and yet I am almost certain to be outdone by the man himself. Again, this is not a predictor of what Bergoglio might do. I simply want anyone who defends Bergoglio to reach a point at which he can say, "well if he did that then even I would have to denounce him". If you reach that point then stop and take note! If the past 3 years are anything to go by, it might not be too long before your 'red line' is crossed, and if you move that line, then prepare to call yourself and enabler of Bergoglio and not a defender of Christ and His Holy Church.
As usual, whenever I come up with ridiculous propositions, or I hear someone else warning of a slippery slope by coming up with such, I am keen to warn "Don't give them any ideas!" With that in mind I must warn anybody who comes across this list that I would take severe umbrage if what I have jotted down was to be sent to Bergoglio and presented as a to-do-list, to be ticked off one by one.
If you can think of any more outrageous predictions/scenarios, please suggest them below!
Within a week, we might just have ticked off a few more of the ones already of the list.